- Chicago - Millenium Park
- Near Raymond, Illinois - Our Lady of the Highways - a marble statue of Mary that has become a shrine to Old Route travelers.
- Springfield, Missouri - Bass Pro Shops Outdoor World - I have no idea why. Maybe it's the giant fish tank and waterfall.
- Tulsa, Oklahoma - Oral Roberts University - major statue imitating moment with the GIANT praying hands.
- Oklahoma City, Oklahoma - Memorial Park - I did a huge project on this in high school. Must see.
- Clinton, Oklahoma - Route 66 Miniature Golf Course. Yes, I love miniature golf. Leave your judgement on the highway. Hahaha
- Erick, Oklahoma - 100th Meridian Museum - One of my favorite songs, At the Hundredth Meridian, by one of my favorite bands, The Tragically Hip, makes this stop seem fantastic.
- Shamrock, Texas - (we must find a) "Welcome to Shamrock" sign - I'm as Irish as they come. It's a town called Shamrock. Duh. There's also a building here that is the exact inspiration for "Ramone's" in Disney/Pixar's Cars.
- Groom, Texas - gigantic 19-story tall stainless steel cross - just because.
- Amarillo, Texas - Big Texan Motel - who doesn't want to stay in a place with a Texas-shaped swimming pool?? hahaha
- Adrian, Texas - Midpoint Sign and Cafe - kind of have to, right?!
- Sandia Crest, New Mexico - views from Sandia Crest - surely too spectacular to miss.
- Albuquerque (Old Town), New Mexico - Rattlesnake Museum/Private Reptile Farm - I'm sure I'll be petrified the whole time, because I hate the things, but they're practically the second National Animal, and who doesn't want to see a huge Diamondback at least once?
- Bernalillo, New Mexico - Silva's Saloon - "ancient-feeling...whose walls, coated in layers of newspaper clippings, old snapshots, and other mementos form a fabulously funky back-drop for a cold beer, a burger, or an evening listening to local live music alongside cowboys, bikers, and other characters." Opened the day after Prohibition ended in 1933 and hasn't closed since.
- Acoma Pueblo, New Mexico - "Sky City" - "the views out across the plains are unforgettable"
- Navajo Indian Reservation, New Mexico - Inscription Rock
- Winslow, Arizona - the streetcorner from The Eagles' song Take It Easy - "Standin' on a corner in Winslow, Arizona"
- near Winslow, Arizona - "The World's Largest Map of Route 66" - photo op!
- Oatman, Arizona - the town and Oatman Hotel - groovy ghost town, looks like a Wild West set, pretty cool bar plastered in old dollar bills
- Huntington, California - Huntington Library, Museum, and Gardens - these gardens are AMAZING
And the #1 BAD KHARMA, NO WAY are we going/staying there: Kingman, Arizona - Hill Top Motel - where Timothy McVeigh stayed for a week before blowing up the Federal Building in Oklahoma, City. No way, Jose!
THis is awesome! You have no idea how happy I am to see the photo ops with praying hands and crosses. haha.... I won't really be able to spend any time pulling my list like this together for two more weeks. My job is taking every waking moment, oh and hockey too.
ReplyDeleteQuite a few of those were on my list too...a good sign :) I cannot wait until July 3rd so we can start our journey!! I'll put my list together within the next two weeks to and then we can all compare...the statue imitating will be enough to last a lifetime lol
ReplyDelete